Friday, July 15, 2011

Smart Cookies

Mrs. Bainbridge's Class is hosting her first linky part on the unique sayings we use in the classroom, so I thought I'd join in!

1. Smart Cookie
I call my students smart cookies when they get an answer right, and I usually get a startled look or a "I'm not a cookie!" Then I eventually get smiles after I say it a few times. :)

2. Put it in your binder, take it home and.... "Show your parents how smart you are!"
After reviewing our morning work, I would have my 2nd grade kiddos put there morning work in their TEAM binders and would say this phrase- apparently repeatedly enough that they would start saying it for me or say it if I forgot, or to remind a neighbor! :)

3. How old are you? or What grade are you in?
Typically used when in line with my class, or when I've been subbing and a class is a bit unruly- most of the the time it works to get the line in better order.

4. Who's going to win... the boys... or the girls?
Straightens a line right up, especially as a sub!

5. You are so beating my 2nd grade class from last year (or the reverse, Hmm... I think my 2nd grade class did a much better job than you)

6. Hold your horses!

7. I'm going to change my name and not tell you what it is!

8. I am not Mrs. Smiling, that is my mom! And I am not my mom!

9. Unless you are bleeding, dying, puking, have a broken bone, or about to puke, you're fine!

10. A student comes up in tears or fake-tears, and I can tell they just need attention, they say, I hurt my *arm* holding it limply up to me. I have them shake it, and more or less do the chicken dance, saying, Oh no, we better call the hospital! And when they are giggling, I say guess no hospital!

There are so many more, but I've been out of my own classroom for so long that I've started to forget them! Since subbing, I've also used different ones than I did with my own kiddos. You know you use some of these a lot when kiddos start to repeat them or use them on each other!!

Smiling Teacher

***UPDATE: Just thought of #11:
We all know how little ones like to sit on their knees in the chairs, and a phrase I often use:

"Butt in the chair, not in the air!" :)

Another one!
#12: I have a rule about me "comfy" teacher chair in the group area (formerly a rocking chair). Students are not allowed to sit in it unless they have gone to college. :) They try to sneak in the chair and I often ask them, Have you gone to college yet? :)

No comments: